Yeast problems in dog's have reached crazy levels. One reason so many dogs are experiencing yeast overgrowth is because many dog foods have such high carbohydrate content. The yeast responsible for your dog's yeast infection is Candida albicans and this yeast thrives on sugar. Carbs are converted to sugar in the body and sugar is yeast's favorite food! So, carbohydrates in the diet can contribute to yeast issues.
Basically, high carbohydrate dog food provides an optimum environment for this opportunistic yeast to multiply. Yeast has all the food it wants to grow. As this yeast reaches high levels it migrates throughout your dog's system wreaking havoc. Systemic yeast (system wide yeast) has traveled beyond the gut tract and shows up in ears, paws, skin, bowels. Systemic yeast is just that, systemic.
If you would like some more information to help you understand yeast in dogs, go to "Yeast in Dogs" to identify common symptoms of yeast in dogs.
Dog Food Recipe (Small Batch, 1/4 of the large batch recipe)
- 2.5 lbs. Raw Ground Beef (I use 70/30 fat content for my dogs. You can also choose 80/20.)
- 1/4 bottle of SuprOmega (2 oz)
- 4-5 hard boiled eggs with shells. Crumble the eggs shell into small pieces and mix with the ground beef. Eggshells and their lining contain calcium and glucosamine. If you don't want to use the eggshells, you can use this calcium/magnesium supplement instead. FidOcal
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup Dinovite for Dogs-actual measuring cups, not the scoop in the box. (Supplies digestive enzymes, trace minerals, fatty acids, vitamins and Direct Fed Microbials) *It is important to add this supplement, the recipe will be deficient without it.
Dog Food Recipe (Large Batch)
- 10 lbs. Raw Ground Beef (70/30). I buy the 10-pound roll which is about 20 cups and use the 70/30 higher fat content.
- 18 hard boiled eggs with shells. Crumble the eggs shell into small pieces and mix with the ground beef. Eggshells are an excellent source of digestible calcium for dogs and the lining of the eggshell contains glucosamine.
- 1 bottle of SuprOmega (8 oz)
- 2 cups to 4 cups of Dinovite Powder for Dogs-actual measuring cups, not the scoop in the box. (if your dog is suffering from extreme nutritional deficiency manifestations like itching, shedding, stinking, use the higher amount of supplement in the recipe.)
Special Note: Dogs have a very acidic stomach (PH of 1) environment that kills the bacteria on fresh meat. This is how they can eat fresh meat and not get sick. It is also why dogs can knock over garbage cans, eat the contents and live to do it again the next week. After all they are scavengers. It all makes sense. If you are concerned about feeding raw meat to your dog, simply cook and cool the meat before adding it to this recipe.
SUBSTITUTIONS/OPTIONS: We have used both beef, chicken and pork in this recipe. If using chicken, we recommend including thighs and other fatty pieces. We have not used venison, elk, fish, turkey in this recipe so we cannot give you any feedback. If you choose to use these, we'd love your feedback. You may have to adjust the amount of SuprOmega you use, as some of these protein sources are extremely lean.
Organ meats such as liver, heart, green tripe or kidneys are all good additions to this recipe as well. You may also substitute spinach, or broccoli in place of the rice as well, to avoid yeast infections, and still contain a filler.
Introducing New Dog Food
I recommend a 24 hour fast no food or treats just water. Make available a mixture of 1 gallon distilled water with 2 tbs of apple cider vinegar. Your pet can take as little or as much water as he wants.
This will give time for the old dog food to pass through your dog's digestive tract. It is important to follow this procedure to limit digestive upset.
- Day one and two: Feed a portion 1/8 the size of a normal meal.
- Day three and four: Feed a portion 1/4 the size of a normal meal.
- Day five and six: Feed a portion 1/2 the size of a normal meal.
- Day seven :Feed a full portion.
Note: The whole process takes 8 days when you include the 24 hour fast.
This method will allow your dog’s digestive tract time to adapt to the new food. Please follow this introductory method your dog will be fine. Your dog will not starve or hate you. Rapid diet changes can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
***Important Note: Do not mix kibble and the raw diet for dogs with yeast infections together! Doing so will GREATLY increase the chances of digestive upset for your dog!
Make the commitment to feed your dog the best dog food for yeast infections for at least 30-90 days. For the first few weeks your dog can have flare ups and could appear to be getting worse. Don't panic, this can happen if the yeast die off rapidly. A mass die-off of yeast sends toxins throughout your dog's system, resulting in the symptoms actually getting worse. Some dog's even get lethargic. After your 30-90 day yeast starvation diet, remember that a high carb diet is totally inappropriate for dogs and cats. Don't go back to the high grain kibble that may have gotten your pet in trouble to begin with. Feeding a meaty diet is the best thing you can do for your pet! To read more about feeding a Meaty Raw Diet, see Basics of a Raw Diet
Using DogOsuds dog shampoo will gently clean your dog's irritated skin while your dog's body is fighting the yeast infection on the inside! It's a ONE-TWO punch for yeast infections in dogs! The Peppermint/Tea Tree or Essential Oil Blend both contain tea tree essential oil which clean skin that is irritated by your dog's yeast infection.
Haagan's Story: A Testimony
Just want to tell you we rescued a 7 yr old Dachshund a year ago, and he had skin allergies because his previous owner didn't feed him quality food and he had a lot of stress in his life. After putting him on an holistic/organic grain free food with Omega 3 and trying fish oil we noticed a change. His fur started to grow back slowly, but we still had a problem with constant itching, dry skin, chewing and (smelly) ear due to yeast.
No More Yeast!
The ear medicine from the Vet had bad side effects like temporary deafness, it smelled bad etc. and Prednisone didn't help anything. Even oatmeal baths were only a temporary solution. It was frustrating to see him suffer Well I heard your commercial on the radio (a year later) and decided to give Dinovite a try. I bought enough for 90 days and I have to tell you within one week we have noticed a tremendous difference. He no longer chews his skin, his fur shines like never before, some of the bald patches he had (on his back by his tail) are now growing fur, and he no longer smells from the yeast growing in his ears. Even his breath is fresher. We can see how much happier he has become, and getting dog kisses has become a very common thing from him. I know it can take up to 90 days to see improvement but I have to say it happened sooner for our dachshund. -- Carol, Colorado Springs, CO